Agenda and draft minutes

Overview & Scrutiny Committee - Community Wellbeing - Wednesday, 15th January, 2020 7.00 pm

Venue: Committee Room 1, Council Offices, The Burys, Godalming

Contact: Ema Dearsley  Democratic Services Officer

Items
No. Item

33.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 89 KB

To confirm the Minutes of the Meeting held on 19 November 2019 (to be laid on the table 30 minutes before the meeting).

Minutes:

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 19 November 2019 were confirmed as a correct record and signed.

34.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTES

To receive apologies for absence and note any substitutions.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Sally Dickson and Jacqui Keen. Trevor Sadler was in attendance.

35.

DECLARATIONS OF INTERESTS

To receive from Members declarations of interests in relation to any items included on the agenda for this meeting, in accordance with Waverley’s Code of Local Government Conduct.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interests in connection with items on the agenda.

36.

QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

The Chairman to respond to any written questions received from members of the public in accordance with Procedure Rule 10.

 

The deadline for receipt of written questions is 5pm on 8 January 2020.

Minutes:

There were none.

37.

QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS

The Chairman to respond to any questions received from Members in accordance with Procedure Rule 11.

 

The deadline for receipt of written questions is 5pm on 8 January 2020.

Minutes:

There were none.

38.

Service plans pdf icon PDF 70 KB

This report presents the three-year rolling Service Plans for April 2020 to March 2023 for the service areas under the remit of this Committee, which are:

·         Commercial Services Service Plan 2020-23 (except for Building Control and Green Spaces)

·         Communities only from Housing Delivery & Communities Service Plan 2020-23

·         Licensing only from Environment Service Plan 2020-23

 

Recommendation

 

It is recommended that the Community Wellbeing Overview & Scrutiny Committee considers the Service Plans for 2020-23 as set out at Annexe 1, and makes any observations or comments to the Executive.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee was presented with the service plans covering the period between 2020-2023. The Service Plans had been prepared by Heads of Service in collaboration with their teams and Portfolio Holders to set out the service objectives for the coming three years in line with the new Corporate Strategy 2019-2023 and the Medium Term Financial Plan 2020-2023.

 

It was noted that last year the Council reviewed its approach to service planning, changing them from annual plans, to three yearly rolling plans. This approach allowed not only for an easier alignment with the Council’s Medium Term Financial Plan (MTFP), but also a better transparency on delivery of multi-year projects and other initiatives.

 

The Service Plans specific to Community Wellbeing O&S were as follows:

·         Commercial Services Service Plan (except for Building Control and

Green Spaces)

·         Communities only from Housing Delivery & Communities Service Plan

·         Licensing only from Environment Service Plan

 

Councillor Steve Cosser was concerned about going into detail of the service plans without a budget agreed. Louise Norie, the Corporate Policy Manager advised that the Service Plans had been prepared in line with the budget process but there were always things that could come up last minute that might change things.

 

Kelvin Mills, the Head of Service for Communities and Special Projects gave a brief overview of his service area. They were aiming to expand and enhance Careline, achieve a rating of outstanding for Waverley Training Services which was an ambitious target, move forward with a leisure investment programme Farnham being the first then looking at Godalming and Cranleigh which had more complex issues to resolve. They were aiming to review the Taxi and Private Hire Policy and by 2030 wanted all operating vehicles to be ultra low emission.

 

Councillor Val Henry asked about progress with the proposals for Cranleigh Leisure Centre. Kelvin advised that they had some prices for the works but they were higher than expected. They would be working with the Parish Council and Places Leisure to discuss the way forward. They would have options for the Executive soon and he would keep advised.

 

Councillor Stephen Cosser commented on the Cultural Strategy and that there was so much being done in Farnham and Cranleigh but not across all four areas of the Borough. Godalming Staycation though had been very successful. Charlotte Hall, the Community Development Officer, agreed that this was a fair point and they had worked more in the more central cultural centres. She had been looking at other avenues to deliver programmes such as touring theatres to more rural locations as well as projects for older people and this was detailed in, and would be focused on in the Action Plan coming forward.

 

Councillor Kika Mirylees asked about the number of projects delivered outside of the main hubs. Kelvin advised that the Farnham Maltings was doing outreach work and he could share what work was being done. Cllr Mirylees felt that more should be done rurally. Charlotte advised that they were writing to all Towns  ...  view the full minutes text for item 38.

39.

Cultural Strategy

For the Committee to receive the presentation on the delivery of Cultural Services to inform its scrutiny of the Cultural Strategy Action Plan, to be brought to the Committee in March 2020.

Minutes:

The Committee was reminded that, at the last meeting, they had received the Cultural Strategy Action Plan and had commented on the progress made. A series of meetings would be taking place over the next quarter with Members and stakeholders in order to establish a new two year Action Plan which, noting previous comments, would look to be more geographically spread. This would be brought to the Committee in June to consider.

 

Councillor John Robini suggested that all councillors should visit the museums around the borough to get a feel of them. Councillor Steve Cosser questioned the funding and how it was spent around the borough. He felt that they must become a facilitator and enabler and support organisations in both urban and rural areas.

 

Councillor Jenny Else questioned filming in the Borough, particularly in rural areas and respecting biodiversity. There should be special arrangements for this kind of activity.  

 

The Committee thanked officers for the update and would await a new Action Plan in June 2020.

40.

Youth Provision DOTX 46 KB

Following a request by the Community Wellbeing O&S Committee to investigate youth activities in the Borough this report gives initial feedback to the Committee following the first phase of research.

 

Recommendation

 

It is recommended that the Committee consider and confirm which direction further research should take.

 

Minutes:

The Committee received a report following a request to look into a potential review into youth services in the Borough. Officers had since met with Councillor Kika Mirylees to get more understanding of the subject area.

 

The report included background and reported how the duty of youth services was on Surrey County Council. Members were asked that in order to provide value to the Committee and to prevent unnecessary work it was useful for the Scrutiny team to gain an understanding of what the Committee would like to explore further in what was potentially a far reaching subject. Three questions were put to the Committee:

 

·         What role should the Council have in providing facilities and activities for

young people?

·         Does the Borough Council have a role, or should it have a role, in improving

young people’s physical and mental health and emotional well-being?

·         What further research would the Committee like to see?

 

Councillor Kika Mirylees explained her concerns regarding the lack of places for young people to go. However, did not realise that this fell under the responsibility of Surrey County Council and funding was scarce. Councillor George Wilson wanted to see what Surrey had done as he felt that they were falling short of duty. Councillor John Robini raised his concern about the use of Hasleway for vulnerable people and that this was being taken away from them. Katie would look into it. The Chairman concluded that they could only resolve what they had the ability to resolve and if they could share good practice in their own areas for what they had done this may help.

 

41.

Budget Strategy Working Group

To receive a verbal update on the progress of the Budget Strategy Working Group.

Minutes:

It was noted that a report would be going to the Value for Money and Customer Services O&S on 20 January from the Budget Strategy Working Group with its initial findings.

42.

Work Programme pdf icon PDF 86 KB

The Community Wellbeing Overview and Scrutiny Committee, is responsible for managing its work programme.

 

The work programme includes items agreed at previous meetings and takes account of items identified on the latest Executive Forward Programme (Annexe 2) as due to come forward for decision.

 

A Scrutiny Tracker has been produced to assist the Committee in monitoring the recommendations that have been agreed at its meetings. The Tracker details the latest position on the implementation of these recommendations and is attached as Part C of the work programme.

 

Recommendation

 

Members are invited to consider their work programme and make any comments and/or amendments they consider necessary, including suggestions for any additional topics that the Committee may wish to add to its work programme.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The work programme would be updated following the meeting and if Members had anything to add, to be in contact with Yasmine.